The Nanoscale World

Nanoscope IIIa v5.30r1 / Multimode: Making controlled movements in Z by any means? (Also, what is NanoScript???)

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112
s_thor posted on Fri, Jan 21 2011 1:42 PM

Hi,

I'm using a Multimode SPM with a Nanoscope IIIa, running 5.30r1 of the nanoscope software. Our goal right now is to bring an STM tip into tunneling with a sample, and then back the tip off by, for example, 100 nm. (and leave it there while recording data)

Is there an easy way to do this in the software as is? I have noticed there is a current/distance spectroscopy mode, but this mode seems to require continuous sweeping of the Z voltage - I can't just fix Z.

The manual mentions Nanoscript briefly. Am I correct that this is a programming language that can be used to create all sorts of custom procedures in Nanoscope?

The controller I'm using has been in this lab long before I arrived. How can I tell if I have the ability to use Nanoscript? There is a "Nanoscript" option in the "d.i." menu, and after selecting it I get options to load macros, etc. Does this mean that my install has Nanoscript capabilities enabled? I read the NanoLithography guide posted on here, and I see that you can do movements in Z using some of those tools, but do I really need the Nanolithography package in order to use Nanoscript?

I would be grateful for any information at all about using Nanoscript. Google tells me that there is a Nanoscript Programmers Guide somewhere, but I could not find it online. Does anyone have this file?

Thank you,

Scott

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Suggested by Bede Pittenger

I think the easiest way to do this would be to:

1. engage, wait for a few seconds for things to stabilize, (set scan size to <0.1nm if you want to do point spectroscopy)
  2. reduce the Z limit, hit the frame up or down button to clear the image buffer
  3. adjust the setpoint to cause the system to fully retract. 

You can use the height channel to determine how much you moved, but it should be ~half the z limit (assuming your engage resulted z~0V).  Since this is a Multimode you probably do not have a Z sensor, so piezo creep and hysteresis will cause some uncertainty in the position).

NanoScript or NanoLitho would allow you to to automate this, but since Nanoscope v5 has no way to collect data as a function of time images are still your best bet to collect the data.

--Bede

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112
s_thor replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 12:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, Bede. Follow up question: could you provide any information about Nanoscript? (Such as a programmers guide) Thanks, Scott
Top 25 Contributor
55 Posts
Points 831
Bruker Employee

Hi Scott,

Please follow the link to the manuals for performing Nanolithography with v5.12, most of it is applicable in v5.30r1.

Chunzeng

• | Post Points: 16
Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112
s_thor replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 10:36 AM
Hi Chunzeng, I'm a postdoc in Allen Bard's lab at UT Austin. The microscope head I'm using for these experiments is actually the prototype SECPM head you used with Cedric Hurth for your 2007 JPCC paper! I'm using the same Multimode & JV scanner that he did, also. Our computer is missing most of the lithography files: (litho.h, gui.h, etc) However, I did find "diamond.dll" in the list of Nanoscript macros. Two questions: 1) Can I get the missing nanolithography files from you? 2) Even without the nanolithography files, would it be possible to write a program in Nanoscript to just move the tip up and down like I want? It doesn't seem like a very complicated operation: I just want to be able to retract the tip 50-100 nm from the sample in a controllable way. I did try retracting by first lowering the Z limit and then changing the tunneling setpoint to 0 nA. That works but is a bit too clumsy for what I want to do: the Z limit cannot be set to less than 11 V, and when the tip retracts to its limit there's a lot of variability in how much it actually moves because the Z voltage during imaging is usually not exactly 0 V. Thanks, Scott
Top 25 Contributor
55 Posts
Points 831
Bruker Employee

Hi Scott,

To have the full Nanolith fucntion, you will need C++ compiler installed on you computer, whcih you can check and let me know. If it is installed, I will send you the needed files.

A shortcut to do just what you described: I can compile a .dll for you to use. But please allow me sometime, say till next Thur. I have something urgent at hand that I need to deal with first.

Thanks

Chunzeng

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112
s_thor replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 12:57 PM

Thanks Chunzeng,

All of the Nanoscope installs on that machine (5.12r5, 5.30r1, 5.30b10) all have the "Nanoscript" menu under  the "d.i." logo. However, there does not seem to be a C++ compiler installed. (but I'm sure someone here has one)

If you are willing to just go ahead and compile a dll, that would be fantastic.

To be more specific about our goals:

We'd like to bring a tip into tunneling normally (as for STM imaging), and then turn off feedback and retract the tip a specified number of nm (50-100, but of course it would be nice to have control in a larger range like 0-500). I believe the "LithoMoveZ" command can be used for this. (but won't I also need those missing header/library files?)

Once retracted, we just want to let the tip sit there. Either for a specified number of seconds (probably like 500 s or more), or indefinitely. We'd like to collect current data during this time, perhaps using the imaging mode, or perhaps by connection with a breakout box if that is necessary.

After the experiment, the tip can be returned to tunneling with feedback. We'd also need some kind of nice graphic box with all these parameters selectable.

I totally understand if you have urgent business. When you get a chance, please let me know if this arrangement will work, or if you need more information from me.

Also, I still have your Veeco email adress from your correspondence with Cedric Hurth. is that address still valid? Otherwise, what is a good way to contact you?

Thanks,

Scott

PS. It seems that if you have javascript turned off, this message board will not put proper spacing between paragraphs. I did not mean to write a single dense paragraph above. :)

Top 25 Contributor
55 Posts
Points 831
Bruker Employee

Hi Scott,

I progrmmed a .dll which I will send you via email. The Graphic User Interface (GUI) is shown below, it allows you to set the STM setpoint, it will turn the feedback on for 1s to reach this value, then turn the feedback off. You can specify how much you want to retract the tip from the surface and also specify retract rate and how long you would like to wait at that point as prompted in the GUI. Before activate this Macro, you can turn the capture on to record the current in an image channel. Try this, and let me know whether this works for you or what else you may need.

Best regards

Chunzeng

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
55 Posts
Points 831
Bruker Employee

Hi Scott,

Please rename STMzMove.txt to STMzMove.dll, and upload in Nanoscope.

chunzeng.li@bruker-nano.com

Chunzeng

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112

Great, thanks Chunzeng!

I just emailed you; after I get the file I will test it out on the instrument.

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112
s_thor replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 10:03 AM

Oops, I didn't see the attachment right there in your post; you can disregard the email.

-Scott

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112

Ok, I was not able to get the script functioning. I sent you an email about the error message I got.

-Scott

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112
s_thor replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 2:56 PM

Hi Chunzeng,

Did you happen to receive the email I sent on 2/5? I still have not gotten the script functioning.

Thanks,

-Scott

Top 25 Contributor
55 Posts
Points 831
Bruker Employee

Hi Scott,

I sent to your Gmail on 2/5 and 2/8 with a new .dll and the following note:

z-bar may not update properly while macro is running. Use an oscilloscope to check the signal; or capture the height (with offline planefit set to none) image to see whether z actually moves.

Try this .dll, and let me know how it works.

Chunzeng

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 112
s_thor replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 5:40 PM

Somehow I never received your reply. I'm not sure why; I've never had an issue with gmail.

I tried out the newer version of the script on the instrument and got a different set of errors this time (although the GUI works fine now). I sent you a complete description of the errors again over email.

This time maybe you can make a post on this message board along with your email reply. I will make sure to send a confirming email if I'm able to get your reply on gmail. Otherwise I could switch to a different email account.

-Scott

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments