rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
42 Posts
Points 485
Bruker Employee
David Durham posted on Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:22 AM

Hi,

Would it be possible to measure a 1um tall, 86° angled slope using a D3100 w/ NSIIIA?  I've been told that DT or CD mode would be the only way to do this, or possibly Scanasyst mode on the Dimension, but none of these modes are accessible to the customer on their system.

Thanks,

Dave

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Verified by David Durham

Dave,

In general you just need a tip with a sidewall steeper than the sample; for example a fib tip may work here. There are also some asymmetric tips out there that are overhanging in one direction (including the scan angle). In either case, scan much slower than normal because of the steep sidewall. You will not resolve detail on the sidewall,  but should be able to get the angle.

If the gap is *really* not an issue, you can also mount the sample on a slight, but known, angle, decreasing the angle of one side, but increasing the angle of the other (this side will become un-measureable). You can then correct offline.

Good luck,
Steve

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Verified by David Durham

Dave,

In general you just need a tip with a sidewall steeper than the sample; for example a fib tip may work here. There are also some asymmetric tips out there that are overhanging in one direction (including the scan angle). In either case, scan much slower than normal because of the steep sidewall. You will not resolve detail on the sidewall,  but should be able to get the angle.

If the gap is *really* not an issue, you can also mount the sample on a slight, but known, angle, decreasing the angle of one side, but increasing the angle of the other (this side will become un-measureable). You can then correct offline.

Good luck,
Steve

Top 25 Contributor
42 Posts
Points 485
Bruker Employee

Thanks Steve.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
99 Posts
Points 958
Bruker Employee
SeanHand replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:24 PM

Hi Dave -

What is the Top CD?   You could do this measurement on a D3100 using a post probe such as the CDP200. This probe is several um tall and as long at the bottom CD is >200nm you should be able to get the the SWA.  The "postiness" of end of the CDP200 probe will minimize the amount of tip shape convolution into the sidewall so the SWA calculation should be relatively accurate.

Cheers,

Sean

• | Post Points: 12
Top 25 Contributor
42 Posts
Points 485
Bruker Employee

Sean, I don't have specific numbers, but my understanding is that trench widths at top and bottom are not an issue.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments