The Nanoscale World

Celgard Fans: Fresh FastScan Video –or- Another High-Speed AFM benchmark sample?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Stephen Minne posted on Fri, May 6 2011 5:55 PM

Nothing like a quality sample preparation (thanks Natalia!) and an awesome AFM to get great soft-sample high-speed images (thanks Shuiqing & Adam!). This new video shows height and phase of freshly prepared Celgard; the images are at ~20um/s (or 10Hz scan rate for 1um images):

In the video, we also tried to showcase a lot of the ease-of-use features that allow us to get these kind of results so quickly (ie not only accomplishing this at  high tip velocity, but completing the entire arc of the experiment so fast – from setup to publishable data.) On this point, the key things to note are the Dimension FastScan’s intuitive user interface and the MIRO image overlay capability. In the MIRO window on the right the 5um 128x128 survey scan was taken in ~1min. The high resolution overlay images are all 512x512, or taken in about 50s. We also try to show that this type of speed/resolution is routine for FastScan by jumping to different parts of the sample and taking a number of images.

I would be interested to hear the community’s thoughts on the quality and speed of these images, particularly because Celgard is such a challenging sample. Again, unlike hard flat samples (which several movies have been put forward), Celgard really challenges the z-scanner speed, by making it track large excursions (top to bottom of features) while maintaining refined force control (seeing the “blocks” of the mesh).

In an earlier thread on Linkedin it was suggested that Celgard be an imaging standard, using as the quality reference: Fig. 13.25 and 13.29 in the book "Surface Analysis with STM and AFM" Weinheim VCH 1995. I have excerpted those figures from the book and posted them here for review:

Scanning >10x the typical could be the benchmark for claiming a high speed AFM.

I believe all vendors also have access to Celgard, but if anyone out there thinks they can go faster, but does not have it, let me know and I will send it you.

Best,
Steve
Bruker AFM

PS: We lose of bit of fidelity in the conversion to wmv and again to youtube. The entire wmv is available for download from the link above, but seeing live is the ultimate. . .

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

PS: A good test of the robustness of a system is to scan Celgard® in different orientations; here is an even faster video (23Hz) where the mesh is perpendicular to the scan.
Enjoy,
Steve

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

It’s good to see some community attempts at replicating the performance of the Dimension FastScan. The screen shot below is of a 1um, 512x512, 22Hz, Video of Celgard® taken with the Dimension FastScan (Video link at end). This demonstration is over twice as fast as the 10Hz video we show above.

As you start to see different images and movies, there are a couple key things to look for: In the FastScan phase images you can see a couple important things. Each of the domains on the top surface is well defined. If a system is not tracking, or scanning beyond its limits, those features will look washed out as in the example on the right. Another good indication of tracking is if the phase signal “tops-out”. In the FastScan image at 22Hz, this is not a problem. In the image on the right the system is not fully tracking as indicated by the white vertical streaks in the image, or alternatively, the significant dips in the line traces.

It’s also good to look at the topography line traces. Sometimes, trace/retrace will not match. Often this can be corrected by simple optimization, and this in turn can lead to significantly faster imaging speeds. However, if it coupled with the phase problems, like on the left images, it more likely this indicates a system is trying to imaging beyond its capability.

Also, in your evaluations be sure to include all of the criteria to be considered fast. The previous robust community discussion also recommended TipCheck and a Grating videos.

Best,
Steve

Celgard® is a registered trademark of Celgard, LLC , and is not associated with Bruker Nano

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

PS: A good test of the robustness of a system is to scan Celgard® in different orientations; here is an even faster video (23Hz) where the mesh is perpendicular to the scan.
Enjoy,
Steve

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 82

this is very impressive!

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Thanks for the comment and I can send you one.

Send me your information at steve.minne (at) bruker-nano (dot) com

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments